June 2013
Volume 54, Issue 15
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   June 2013
Combined phacoemulsification, primary IOL implantation and pars plana vitrectomy in children with uveitis
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Madeleine Zetterberg
    Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Mölndal, Sweden
    Ophthalmology, Sahlgrenska university hospital, Mölndal, Sweden
  • Sara Pålsson
    Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Mölndal, Sweden
    Ophthalmology, Sahlgrenska university hospital, Mölndal, Sweden
  • Marita Gronlund
    Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Mölndal, Sweden
    Pediatric Ophthalmology, Sahlgrenska university hospital, Göteborg, Sweden
  • Alf Nyström
    Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Mölndal, Sweden
    Pediatric Ophthalmology, Sahlgrenska university hospital, Göteborg, Sweden
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships Madeleine Zetterberg, None; Sara Pålsson, None; Marita Gronlund, None; Alf Nyström, None
  • Footnotes
    Support None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science June 2013, Vol.54, 1843. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Madeleine Zetterberg, Sara Pålsson, Marita Gronlund, Alf Nyström; Combined phacoemulsification, primary IOL implantation and pars plana vitrectomy in children with uveitis. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013;54(15):1843.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate the outcome of combined cataract surgery with primary intraocular lens (IOL) implantation and pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) in children with uveitis.

Methods: A retrospective non-comparative case series evaluated the outcome of 21 eyes of 17 children with chronic uveitis who underwent combined cataract surgery with primary IOL implantation and PPV at the Eye Clinic, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden, between 2002 and 2011. Main outcome measures were visual acuity (VA), inflammatory status, medical therapy pre- and postoperatively and intra-/postoperative complications.

Results: A majority of the children (76%) suffered from uveitis associated with antinuclear antibody (ANA)-positive juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Median age at surgery was 6.5 years (range 3.4 to 14.8 years) and median follow-up period was 3.3 years (range 0.9 to 7.7 years). Median preoperative VA was 1.70 logMAR (0.02 dec; range light perception to 0.52 logMAR [0.3 dec]) and median VA at 12 months postoperatively was 0.17 logMAR (0.67 dec; range 1.05 logMAR [0.09 dec] to 0.00 logMAR [1.0 dec]). At last follow-up, 16 eyes (76%) had a VA of 0.30 logMAR (0.5 dec) or better. Six of these (29%) had a VA of 0.00 logMAR (1.0 dec). Three eyes had a VA below 0.52 logMAR (0.3 dec). During the follow-up period glaucoma developed in seven eyes (33%), cystoid macular edema in three eyes (14%) and in five eyes (24%) posterior capsule opacification (PCO) requiring surgical discission or Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy occurred. In 15 eyes (71%), intraocular inflammation was reduced or unaltered at the last follow-up as compared to preoperatively. In the remaining six eyes (29%), a slight increase in intraocular inflammatory reaction was seen.

Conclusions: A combined procedure with phacoemulsification, primary IOL implantation, and PPV appears to be a safe surgical approach in children with uveitis and the complication rate is comparable with that reported for cataract surgery alone in pediatric patients with uveitis. In a majority of the patients visual outcome was good and inflammation remained stable after surgery.

Keywords: 445 cataract • 746 uveitis-clinical/animal model • 762 vitreoretinal surgery  
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×