April 2014
Volume 55, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   April 2014
Effect of sunlight exposure during pregnancy on Retinopathy of Prematurity
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Emanuele Tonti
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Domenico Lepore
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Antonio Baldascino
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Lorenzo Orazi
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Salvatore Luceri
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Fernando Molle
    Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships Emanuele Tonti, None; Domenico Lepore, None; Antonio Baldascino, None; Lorenzo Orazi, None; Salvatore Luceri, None; Fernando Molle, None
  • Footnotes
    Support None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science April 2014, Vol.55, 5918. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Emanuele Tonti, Domenico Lepore, Antonio Baldascino, Lorenzo Orazi, Salvatore Luceri, Fernando Molle, ; Effect of sunlight exposure during pregnancy on Retinopathy of Prematurity. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014;55(13):5918.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: to evaluate the influence of sunlight exposure during pregnancy on retinopathy of prematurity (ROP).

Methods: from January 1995 to June 2013, 1304 children with a mean birth weight of 1210 grams (range 350-3560 ) and mean gestational age of 30 weeks (range 23-35 weeks) screened for ROP at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of Catholic University of Sacred Hearth Hospital. Preterm infants with a birth weight (BW) < 1,500 grams and/or gestational age (GA) <32 weeks were screened. Data of ROP onset, maximum stage and zone reached and structural outcome at nine month were recorded in a database. In order to evaluate the influence of light exposure during the latter stages of pregnancy on the development of ROP, we divided the whole premature population into two groups: A) born in the period from December to May with a presumable lower sunlight exposure. B) born in the period from June to November with a presumable higher light exposure. Differences on ROP incidence and severity between the two groups were evaluate using ANOVA test.

Results: In the whole population 851 infants (65%) did not develop ROP. Of the remaining 453 (35%) premature, 350 (77%) developed ROP stages of non-surgical, while for 103 (23%) was needed treatment. 654 (50.2%) infants (group A) were born from December to May, while 650 (49.8%; group B) from June to November. In group A (less light exposure) the incidence of ROP was significantly higher of group B (more light exposure) (39% vs 31%; p = 0.003). This observation is more evident among the extremely premature babies (23 and 24 weeks GA): in the group A all babies have any stage of ROP, while in the group B 18% did not have ROP. In the latter a lower prevalence of severe ROP requiring treatment is shown (p=0.035).

Conclusions: ROP seems to be rarer and milder and in premature whose intrauterine life coincided with a presumable higher sunshine exposure. This report confirm the protective effect of sunlight exposure on retinal development.

Keywords: 706 retinopathy of prematurity • 698 retinal development • 688 retina  
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×