June 2015
Volume 56, Issue 7
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   June 2015
Choosing Wisely: An Educational Initiative
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Anastasia Traband
    Ophthalmology, Boston University, Boston, MA
  • Susannah Rowe
    Ophthalmology, Boston University, Boston, MA
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships Anastasia Traband, None; Susannah Rowe, None
  • Footnotes
    Support None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science June 2015, Vol.56, 127. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Anastasia Traband, Susannah Rowe; Choosing Wisely: An Educational Initiative. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2015;56(7 ):127.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: In 2012 the AAO joined other medical societies in the Choosing Wisely campaign that was initiated by the ABIM Foundation. Each participating society created a list of "5 Things Physicians and Patients Should Question." These 5 things are specialty-specific, evidence-based recommendations that providers and patients should discuss to help make appropriate decisions about their care. The initiative stems from growing concerns across the United States regarding the overuse of healthcare resources. It is imperative that patients and providers join in the conversation to contribute to reducing these costs. The purpose of this study is to assess and spread awareness of this campaign and its five recommendations specifically as it relates to Ophthalmology at Boston University Medical Center.

Methods: A baseline survey was distributed to 31 Boston University Medical Center Department of Ophthalmology providers, residents, and fellows, asking (1) whether the provider had ever heard of the Choosing Wisely campaign and (2) if they could list any of its 5 recommendations. Educational materials were then distributed throughout the department and fliers were posted in provider rooms. After one month, the survey was redistributed and the results were reviewed.

Results: All 31 providers participated and completed the baseline survey. Of these, 26 (84%) had never heard of the Choosing Wisely campaign. Of the remaining 5 (16%) participants, 3 could not list any of the campaign’s 5 recommendations, 1 could list 1 recommendation, and 1 could list all 5. After one month implementing the educational initiative, all 31 (100%) participants had heard of the Choosing Wisely campaign. 31 (100%) participants could name at least 2 recommendations; 29 (94%) could name at least 3; 23 (74%) could name at least 4; and 19 (61%) could name all 5 recommendations.

Conclusions: This study provides valuable information regarding the awareness and potential future implementation of the Choosing Wisely campaign. Although this campaign has been on going since 2012, general awareness appears to be significantly lacking. Our study was successful in increasing awareness within our department from 16% to 100%. Future efforts will focus on assessing and improving compliance with the 5 goals. It is imperative that we continue these types of educational initiatives in order to continue to foster the physician/patient discussion regarding the proper use of healthcare resources.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×