May 2004
Volume 45, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2004
Visual outcomes of cataract surgery complicated by vitreous loss among resident surgeons
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • E. Lee
    Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
  • A.A. Madu
    Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
  • H.M. Engel
    Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  E. Lee, None; A.A. Madu, None; H.M. Engel, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  none
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2004, Vol.45, 305. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      E. Lee, A.A. Madu, H.M. Engel; Visual outcomes of cataract surgery complicated by vitreous loss among resident surgeons . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2004;45(13):305.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Abstract: : Purpose: To determine the visual outcome of patients with vitreous loss during cataract surgery performed by resident surgeons. Methods: Data were collected for consecutive patients undergoing cataract extraction over an eleven–month period from August 2002 to June 2003. The data was retrospectively evaluated. Cases of vitreous loss were reported by a total of seven resident surgeons in the Department of Ophthalmology at Montefiore Medical Center and Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center. Information including resident surgeon, site and date of surgery, pre–operative and post–operative visual acuity, type of cataract extraction, type of vitrectomy, style of lens inserted, and presence of clinically significant post–operative cystoid macular edema (CME) were abstracted. Results: The residents performed over 600 cataract operations during this time period. Thirty cases of vitreous loss were reported, of which twenty–seven required anterior vitrectomies. None of the patients required pars plana vitrectomies. Five cases were excluded from the study due to loss of follow–up. Final visual acuity of 20/40 or better was achieved in 10 (40%) patients. Three (12%) of the twenty–five cases of vitreous loss underwent a weck–cel clean up while the remaining twenty–two (88%) cases required anterior vitrectomies. Four (16%) of the patients underwent an extracapsular cataract extraction. The remaining twenty–one (84%) underwent small–incision phacoemulsification. Only one patient (4%) experienced post–operative CME Conclusions: The results indicate that resident surgeons continue to achieve a low rate of vitreous loss during cataract surgery. Pre–operative visual acuity as well as the extent of vitrectomy were not predictors of visual outcome. Importantly, visual outcomes of 20/40 or better can be achieved by resident surgeons performing cataract surgery complicated by vitreous loss.

Keywords: vitreous • cataract • visual acuity 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×