May 2003
Volume 44, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2003
Endophthalmitis after Penetrating Keratoplasty: Microbiologic Spectrum and Susceptibility of Isolates
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • D.Y. Kunimoto
    Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, United States
  • W. Tasman
    Retina Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, United States
  • C. Rapuano
    Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, United States
  • F. Recchia
    Retina, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI, United States
  • B. Busbee
    Retina Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, MA, United States
  • R. Pearlman
    Retina Service, Northwestern Medical School, Chicago, IL, United States
  • J. Belmont
    Retina Service, Northwestern Medical School, Chicago, IL, United States
  • E. Cohen
    Retina Service, Northwestern Medical School, Chicago, IL, United States
  • J. Vander
    Retina Service, Northwestern Medical School, Chicago, IL, United States
  • P. Laibson
    Retina Service, Northwestern Medical School, Chicago, IL, United States
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  D.Y. Kunimoto, None; W. Tasman, None; C. Rapuano, None; F. Recchia, None; B. Busbee, None; R. Pearlman, None; J. Belmont, None; E. Cohen, None; J. Vander, None; P. Laibson, None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2003, Vol.44, 1850. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      D.Y. Kunimoto, W. Tasman, C. Rapuano, F. Recchia, B. Busbee, R. Pearlman, J. Belmont, E. Cohen, J. Vander, P. Laibson; Endophthalmitis after Penetrating Keratoplasty: Microbiologic Spectrum and Susceptibility of Isolates . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2003;44(13):1850.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Abstract: : Purpose: To present the microbial spectrum and susceptibilities of isolates in post-penetrating keratoplasty endophthalmitis. Methods: 1074 consecutive cases of endophthalmitis presenting to Wills Eye Hospital between 1989 and 2000 were reviewed. 14 patients with endophthalmitis after penetrating keratoplasty were identified, and vitreous biopsy isolates from these patients were examined. Results: 11 (78.6%) of 14 vitreous samples were culture-positive, and 2 others (14.3%) had organisms viewed on pathology specimen, for a total of 13 (92.9%) organism-proven cases of endophthalmitis. Isolates included 10 (76.9%) gram-positive cocci (8 Streptococcus sp, 3 Staphylococcus sp, 1 identified on pathology specimen only) and 3 (23.1%) gram-negative organisms (Proteus mirabilis, Serratia marcescens, 1 identified on pathology specimen only). Susceptibilities to organism-appropriate antibiotic testing are reported, including cefazolin (6 of 8, 75.0%), ciprofloxacin (3 of 7, 42.9%), nafcillin (4 of 6, 66.7%), and vancomycin (8 of 8, 100.0%). Conclusions: This is the largest, single-center series on microbial susceptibilities in post-penetrating keratoplasty endophthalmitis. We report a high percentage of culture-positivity, and a high incidence of gram-positive species, and in particular Streptococcus species, with all testing susceptible to vancomycin.

Keywords: endophthalmitis • clinical (human) or epidemiologic studies: nat 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×