December 2002
Volume 43, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   December 2002
The Accuracy of the Clinical Diagnosis of Chalazion
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • PM Ozdal
    Ophthalmology The Henry C Witelson Eye Pathology Laboratory McGill University Montreal PQ Canada
  • F Codere
    Ophthalmology McGill University Health Center Montreal PQ Canada
  • MT Silveira
    Ophthalmology The Henry C Witelson Eye Pathology Laboratory McGill University Montreal PQ Canada
  • S Callejo
    Ophthalmology The Henry C Witelson Eye Pathology Laboratory McGill University Montreal PQ Canada
  • MC Mendez
    Ophthalmology Instituto de Oftalmobiologia Aplicada Valladolid Spain
  • MN Burnier
    Ophthalmology The Henry C Witelson Eye Pathology Laboratory McGill University Montreal PQ Canada
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   P.M. Ozdal, None; F. Codere, None; M.T. Silveira, None; S. Callejo, None; M.C. Mendez, None; M.N. Burnier, None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science December 2002, Vol.43, 3033. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      PM Ozdal, F Codere, MT Silveira, S Callejo, MC Mendez, MN Burnier; The Accuracy of the Clinical Diagnosis of Chalazion . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2002;43(13):3033.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Abstract: : Purpose: Chalazion is a localized lipogranulomatous inflammation of the eyelid that affects sebaceous glands. This study is conducted to determine the accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of chalazion and demonstrate the importance of histopathologic confirmation of the diagnosis. Method: The histopathologic diagnoses of 1053 patients with clinical diagnosis of chalazion, submitted to the Henry C. Witelson Ophthalmic Pathology Laboratory and Registry between Septembre 1993 and October 2001 were evaluated retrospectively. Results: 1026 (97.4%) of the 1053 cases were clinically diagnosed as primary and the remaining 27 (2.6%) cases as recurrent chalazions. Agreement was noted between clinical and histopathologic diagnoses in 985 (93.5%) cases. Of the 68 (6.4%) clinically misdiagnosed cases, 13 (1.2%) were found to have malignant, 4 (0.4%) premalignant and, 51 (4.8 %) benign conditions. Sebaceous cell carcinoma was the most commonly missed malignancy (9 cases, 0.9%) followed by basal cell carcinoma (3 cases, 0.3%) and poorly differentiated carcinoma (1 case, 0.1%). Premalignant lesions which masqueraded as chalazion were chronic inflammation with cellular atypia and mitotic figures (2 cases, 0.2%), chronic inflammation with epithelial dysplasia (1 case, 0.1%) and sebaceous gland dysplasia (1 case, 0.1%). Of these 17 cases with premalignant and malignant histopathologies, only 6 (35.3%) had a clinical diagnosis of recurrent chalazion, whereas others (64.7%) were primary cases. Of the various benign conditions which were misdiagnosed as chalazion, different types of chronic inflammation (17 cases, 1.6%), seborrheic keratosis (4 cases, 0.4%), epithelial inclusion cyst (4 cases, 0.4%), papilloma (3 cases, 0.3%), sebaceous gland hyperplasia (3 cases, 0.3%), and intradermal nevus (3 cases, 0.3%) were the most frequent. Conclusion: Chalazions may clinically masquerade as a number of different benign, premalignant and malignant conditions. Therefore, all chalazion specimens, primary or recurrent, should be submitted for histopathologic examination.

Keywords: 496 oncology • 410 eyelid • 507 pathology: human 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×