September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
2-year results of switching to aflibercept for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in patients refractory to ranibizumab
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Takeya Kohno
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Manabu Yamamoto
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Akira Cho
    Shiraniwa Hospital, Ikoma, Japan
  • Kumiko Hirayama
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Ayako Yasui
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Shinsuke Ataka
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Michiko Hirabayashi
    Shiraniwa Hospital, Ikoma, Japan
  • Kunihiko Shiraki
    Centre for Ophthalmology, Osaka City Univ Grad Sch of Med, Osaka, Osaka, Japan
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Takeya Kohno, None; Manabu Yamamoto, None; Akira Cho, None; Kumiko Hirayama, None; Ayako Yasui, None; Shinsuke Ataka, None; Michiko Hirabayashi, None; Kunihiko Shiraki, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 514. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Takeya Kohno, Manabu Yamamoto, Akira Cho, Kumiko Hirayama, Ayako Yasui, Shinsuke Ataka, Michiko Hirabayashi, Kunihiko Shiraki; 2-year results of switching to aflibercept for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in patients refractory to ranibizumab. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):514.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : The aim of this study was to examine two year outcome of intravitreal injections of aflibercept (IVA) in patients with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV) refractory to intravitreal injections of ranibizumab (IVR).

Methods : 26 eyes of consecutive 26 patients, who had been treated previously with IVR with or without photodynamic therapy (PDT) more than one year but failed to resolve subretinal fluid (SRF), were reviewed. Loading treatment of IVA was composed of three monthly injections and additional monthly injections until disappearance of SRF on optical coherence tomography (OCT). After the resolution of SRF, IVA injections were done 1-2 month intervals based on presence or absence of SRF on OCT.

Results : The mean decimal visual acuity was 0.27±0.30 at baseline (range, -0.2-0.8), 0.18±0.29 at month 12 (p=0.028)and 0.19±0.30 at month 24 (p=0.026). Mean central foveal thickness significantly decreased from 247.8±86.3 µm (range, 136-477) at baseline to 173.2±53.4 µm (range, 76-331) at 3 months (P<0.001); the decrease was maintained until 24 months (P<0.001). Mean numbers of IVA were 8.1±1.2 (range, 6-10) and 7.5±1.8 (range, 5-10) during years 1 and years 2, respectively. No recurrence of the SRF was seen in 9 eyes (37.5%) with bimonthly IVA. In the remaining 15 eyes (62.5%), SRF recurred and subsequent 2-month or less intervals of IVA were performed to obtain dry retina. Supplementary PDT, however, was required in 3 eyes (12.5%) during the years 2 and SRF remained in 8 eyes (33.3%) at 24 months.

Conclusions : The switching to IVA for PCV refractory to IVR therapy improved or maintained the visual acuity for 2 years. However, approximately 30 % of patients were refractory to IVA and failed to resolve SRF using 2-month or less intervals of IVA.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×