September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
Long term follow-up of fellow eye in patients with lamellar macular hole.
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Ugo Nava
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Isabella D'Agostino
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Chiara Preziosa
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Matteo Giuseppe Cereda
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Ferdinando Bottoni
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Giovanni Staurenghi
    Biomedical and Clinical Sciences "Luigi Sacco", Sacco Hospital Eye Clinic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Ugo Nava, None; Isabella D'Agostino, None; Chiara Preziosa, None; Matteo Cereda, None; Ferdinando Bottoni, Alcon (F), Bayer (F), Novartis (F); Giovanni Staurenghi, Alcon (C), Alcon (F), Allergan (C), Allergan (F), Bayer (C), Bayer (F), Bohernger (C), Carl Zeiss Meditec (C), Genentech (C), GSK (C), Heidelberg Engineering (C), Heidelberg Engineering (F), Novartis (C), Ocular Instruments (P), ODOS (C), OPTOS (C), QLT (C), Quantel Medical (C), Quantel Medical (F), Roche (C)
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 4072. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Ugo Nava, Isabella D'Agostino, Chiara Preziosa, Matteo Giuseppe Cereda, Ferdinando Bottoni, Giovanni Staurenghi; Long term follow-up of fellow eye in patients with lamellar macular hole.. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):4072.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : To evaluate OCT and autofluorescence (AF) baseline features and evolution in fellow eyes of patients diagnosed with lamellar macular hole (LMH).

Methods : Patients diagnosed with LMH and with a long follow-up were retrospectively evaluated in their fellow eyes. Images were obtained with SD-OCT B-SCANS (Heidelberg Spectralis, Heidelberg Engineering, Germany). Foveal retinal thickness was measured from inner layer membrane (ILM) to retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) inner boundary. The corresponding AF images were evaluated and in eyes with foveal hyperautofluorescence, area of high AF intensity was measured. Vitreous was also examined, when it could not be directly observed it was considered as a completely posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).

Results : 36 patients were included, 15 males and 21 females, with a mean age (± standard deviation) of 78.4 ± 8.0 years. Best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) at baseline was 91 ± 9 letters. The mean follow-up time was 4.6 ± 1.9 years. At baseline six fellow eyes showed a normal retinal profile and a mean foveal thickness of 211.9 ± 61.9 µm, twenty-six had an ERM and in four cases bilateral LMH was evident. PVD was present in thirty patients, four had a vitreo-papillary adhesion (VPA), one showed vitreo-macular adhesion (VMA) and in one eye there were both VMA and VPA. In twenty-four eyes with ERM (92.3%) a concomitant PVD was observed, in the remaining two eyes (7.7%) a VPA was present. In thirty-five eyes retinal profile and foveal thickness did not change significantly during follow up period, also no AF signal variations were detected. One patient developed a LMH at the 3rd year of follow-up.

Conclusions : In patients with a LMH an ERM is often detected in the fellow-eye. Bilaterally condition is uncommon. As shown for LMH also the evolution of the fellow eye is very slow. LMH development is a long term process that starts with an ERM and proceeds asymmetrically in both eyes. Our data suggest that the presence of a LMH in an eye does not increase significantly the risk to develop the same condition in fellow eye after four years. However the evidence that one of our patient developed a LMH in the fellow eye during a three year follow up, can lead us to suppose that an higher incidence of bilateral disease could be find in a longer span.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×