September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
Refractive Surgery in the Elderly Population
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Paloma Lopez
    Ophthalmology, Centro Medico Zambrano Hellion, Monterrey, Mexico
  • Julio C Hernandez
    Ophthalmology, Centro Medico Zambrano Hellion, Monterrey, Mexico
  • Jorge E Valdez
    Ophthalmology, Centro Medico Zambrano Hellion, Monterrey, Mexico
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Paloma Lopez, None; Julio Hernandez, None; Jorge Valdez, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  none
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 4883. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Paloma Lopez, Julio C Hernandez, Jorge E Valdez; Refractive Surgery in the Elderly Population. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):4883.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : Report on the safety, efficiency and results of refractive surgery in patients aged 65 or older.

Methods : Retrospective analysis of the records of elderly patients that underwent corneal refractive surgery during the period June 2010 to June 2015 at Hospital Zambrano Helion; Monterrey, Mexico. Refractive surgery was performed by one experienced surgeon using the Technolas 217z Excimer Laser (Bausch&Lomb, Rochester, NY, US). Inclusion criteria were patients ≥65 years old with preoperative manifest refraction spherical equivalent (MRSE) up to -8.5D, cylinder up to 6.0D, corrected distance visual acuity of 20/25 of better and central corneal thickness >500μm with no other ocular pathology.

Results : A total of 44 eyes (24 patients) were included. Mean age was 67.2±3.1 (range 65 to 80), with a mean follow up of 6.2±1.3 months. Conventional LASIK was performed in 20 patients (Group 1, 36 eyes) to improve uncorrected distance visual acuity (10 eyes myopic LASIK, 26 eyes hyperopic LASIK) and presbyopic LASIK (monovision) in 4 patients (Group 2, 8 eyes) to restore near vision performance. Preoperative MRSE for the myopic eyes in group 1 was -2.79±1.88D and +2.19±1.88D for hyperopic eyes, MRSE for group 2 was +2.10±0.87D. Preoperative UDVA in group 1 was 0.67±0.30 LogMAR (20/100 Snellen) and 0.46±0.18 LogMAR (20/50 Snellen) and Jaeger ≥4 in 90% of the patients. Postoperative MRSE was -0.29±0.86D (myopic LASIK)(p<.001), -0.34±0.62D (hyperopic LASIK)(p<.001) and -1.25±0.59D (non-dominant eye) in presbyopic LASIK. Postoperative UDVA in myopic LASIK was 0.15±0.30 (20/25 Snellen)(p=.001) and 0.11±0.11 (20/25 Snellen)(p<.001) for hyperopic LASIK, with binocular UDVA 0.16±0.17 (20/25 Snellen)(p=0.12) and UNVA ≥J2 in 100% of the patients.

Conclusions : Even though elder patients may present greater LASIK restrictions due to lens evolution and other eye conditions related to older age, patients ≥ 65 years that were candidates showed satisfactory and safe results on both groups. 84% of the patients underwent conventional LASIK to correct myopia and hypermetropia to obtain better visual distance. The other 16% of the patients underwent monovision LASIK surgery to correct both near and far distances.


This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×