September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
OCT and Photo Correlation of Drusen in Asian Children
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Don Byongdo Kim
    University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States
  • Victor Chen
    University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States
  • Gloria Wu
    University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Don Kim, None; Victor Chen, None; Gloria Wu, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 4934. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Don Byongdo Kim, Victor Chen, Gloria Wu; OCT and Photo Correlation of Drusen in Asian Children. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):4934.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : Drusen has been reported in adolescents and in children at ARVO 2015 This study assesses the appearance of drusen on both OCT and fundus photos in Asian pediatric patients.

Methods : Using EHR, eClinicalWorks, from a retina practice from 1/2013-11/2015, pts were identified with CPT code 92250 and 92134 with Va=20/15-20/30. Inclusion criteria: no macular disease, best corrected visual acuity 20/15-20/30. Age range 6-18 years. Exclusion criteria: poor quality fundus photos, macular disease, inability to cooperate with OCT exam. TRC-50EX Topcon camera was used to examine color and red-free photos. OIS Winstation AREDS retinal grid was used to identify drusen and measure drusen size. The grid was superimposed on the fundus photo, centered at the fovea. Using the OIS Topcon software 3x zoom feature, all subfields, para and perifoveal regions were inspected for drusen. A subset of pts were evaluated by using OCT (20x20 volume, density 240um, 8.8frames/sec, Heidelberg Engineering Spectralis HRA+OCT), and fundus photos. The Brightness & Contrast tab was used and was decreased to 0, (default setting=12).

Results : 60 pts: 41 were Asian. Avg age=12.59yrs, sd=4.12, range=6-18. Males=20, avg age=12.15yrs, sd=4.43; Females n=21, avg age=13.00yrs, sd=3.86.
76 fundus photos of 41 pts were examined. No drusen (D) in 29/76 (38%) eyes. The remaining 47/76 (62%) eyes had D from 31 pts. 20 pts (49%) had D in both eyes.
Average number of D per eye OD=2.20 ± 2.59 and OS=1.78 ± 2.27. In total, 163 D were counted, all less than 65um in diameter (C0 on the AREDS grid). 134 of 163 D appeared in the outer subfields vs. 29 found in the inner subfields. 90 D (55%) appeared in right eyes vs 73 D (45%) in left eyes (p=ns). 43% of D were temporal, 10% were nasal (p=0.005). 28% were superior, 19% were inferior (p=0.04).
21 of 41 Asian pts had both OCT and fundus photos. Avg age=14.62yrs, sd=3.58, range=6-18. Males n=10, avg age=14.00yrs, sd=3.71, Females n=11, avg age=15.18yrs, sd=3.54. 42 OCT images were examined and 38 OCT images (90.5%) correlated with photos. With Brightness & Contrast, 37/42 (88.1%) correlated with photos.

Conclusions : Drusen can be found in Asian children as early as age 6. A majority of drusen were found in the perifoveal subfields and OCT correlation was found in majority of study patients. This small study suggests that drusen may be seen in children age 6-18yrs.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×