September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
Chronic and Chronic Recurrent Central Serous Chorioretinopathy treatment with Supra 577TM Yellow - Micropulse Laser
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Claudia Quijano
    Retina - Macula, Western Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
    Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
  • Saad Younis
    Retina - Macula, Western Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
    Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Claudia Quijano, None; Saad Younis, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 5156. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Claudia Quijano, Saad Younis; Chronic and Chronic Recurrent Central Serous Chorioretinopathy treatment with Supra 577TM Yellow - Micropulse Laser. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):5156.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : Chronic central serous chorioretinopathy (CSR) is a retinal condition that has the potential to cause progressive retinal RPE atrophy and permanent visual loss. Identifying effective treatment for chronic CSR is still a challenge. The Supra 577TM nm yellow micropulse laser (Quantel medical) has been recently used for chronic CSR treatment. Our aim was to test whether this laser improves the central retinal thickness (CRT) and best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) in cases of chronic and chronic recurrent CSR without jeopardizing the integrity of the fovea in a short period of time.

Methods : We performed a retrospective review of the clinical notes of 5 male patients (6 eyes) with chronic and chronic recurrent CSR, that underwent one session of Supra 577TM nm yellow micropulse laser (Quantel medical) at the Western Eye Hospital, London, in June 2015.
All of the patients underwent laser photocoagulation with the following parameters: laser exposure 20 ms, spot diameter 100 μm, and micropulse mode 5% duty cycle. The patients were followed up every 4 weeks after the treatment was performed. A complete fundus examination, OCT scan and fundus autofluorescence of the retina were performed on every visit. The main outcomes were improvement in CRT and BCVA over the time. Secondary outcomes were any changes of morphology of the retina after the laser.

Results : The mean age of the patients was 50 years old. The average duration of the CSR was 23.4 months (range 6-72 months). Of the total, 50% had a past medical history of chronic use of steroids for a systemic medical condition. All eyes (100%) improved the CRT after a mean of 10 weeks (range 4-16 weeks). The mean CRT improved 60% after the first visit. The CRT was 483 μm pre-treatment and changed to 232 μm post-treatment (p=0.0079). The BCVA improved in 65% of the patients while the other 35% did not showed any change in the visual acuity. The BCVA changed from 0.584 LogMar pre-treatment to 0.528 LogMar post-treatment (P=0.1883). None of the eyes had evidence of retinal damage or changes in the retinal morphology seen in the OCT after the micropulse laser treatment.

Conclusions : The Supra 577TM yellow micropulse laser appears to have a successful short term outcome and to be safe when treating chronic and chronic recurrent CSR. It improves the CRT even in patients with CSR that had been chronic users of steroids.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×