September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
Incidence and Clinical Features of Neovascularization of the Iris following Acute Central Retinal Artery Occlusion
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Youngho Jung
    Ophthalmology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital , Seoul, Songpagu, Korea (the Republic of)
    Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea (the Republic of)
  • Se Joon Woo
    Ophthalmology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital , Seoul, Songpagu, Korea (the Republic of)
    Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea (the Republic of)
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Youngho Jung, None; Se Joon Woo, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 5361. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Youngho Jung, Se Joon Woo; Incidence and Clinical Features of Neovascularization of the Iris following Acute Central Retinal Artery Occlusion. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):5361.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : To investigate the incidence of neovascularization of the iris (NVI) and clinical features of patients with NVI following acute central retinal arterial occlusion (CRAO).

Methods : A retrospective review of 214 consecutive CRAO patients who visited one tertiary hospital between January 2009 and January 2015 was conducted. In total, 110 patients were eligible for this study after excluding patients with arteritic CRAO, a lack of follow-up, iatrogenic CRAO secondary to cosmetic filler injection, or NVI detected before CRAO attack. Fluorescein angiography (FA) was applied until retinal arterial reperfusion was achieved, typically within one to three months.

Results : The incidence of NVI was 10.9% (12 out of 110 patients). Neovascular glaucoma was found in seven (6.4%) patients. The mean time to NVI diagnosis after CRAO events was 3.0 months (range: one week to 15 months). The cumulative incidence was 5.5% at three months, 7.3% at six months, and 10.9% at 15 months (Fig. 2). Severely narrowed ipsilateral carotid arteries were observed in only three (25.0%) patients. The other nine patients (75%) showed no predisposing conditions for NVI, such as proliferative diabetic retinopathy or central retinal vein occlusion. Reperfusion rate and prevalence of diabetes were significantly different between patients with NVI and patients without NVI (reperfusion: 0.0% (NVI) vs. 94.7% (no NVI), p<0.001; diabetes: 50.0% (NVI) vs. 17.3% (no NVI), p=0.017).

Conclusions : CRAO may lead to NVI caused by chronic ischemia from reperfusion failure. Our results indicate that follow-up FA is important to evaluate retinal artery reperfusion after acute CRAO events, and that prophylactic treatment such as panretinal photocoagulation should be considered if retinal arterial perfusion is not recovered.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×