September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
OCULAR ULTRASOUND FINDINGS IN OPTIC DISK MELANOCYTOMA
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Andres Lisker-Cervantes
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • David Arturo Ancona-Lezama
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Luis Arroyo
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Jaime D Martinez
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Victor Daniel Valdepeña-López-Velarde
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Raul Velez-Montoya
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Virgilio Morales-Canton
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Eduardo Moragrega-Adame
    Retina/Imaging, Asosiacion Para Evitar La Ceguera , Mexico City, Mexico
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Andres Lisker-Cervantes, None; David Ancona-Lezama, None; Luis Arroyo, None; Jaime Martinez, None; Victor Daniel Valdepeña-López-Velarde, None; Raul Velez-Montoya, None; Virgilio Morales-Canton, None; Eduardo Moragrega-Adame, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 5878. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Andres Lisker-Cervantes, David Arturo Ancona-Lezama, Luis Arroyo, Jaime D Martinez, Victor Daniel Valdepeña-López-Velarde, Raul Velez-Montoya, Virgilio Morales-Canton, Eduardo Moragrega-Adame; OCULAR ULTRASOUND FINDINGS IN OPTIC DISK MELANOCYTOMA. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):5878.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : To describe the echographic characteristics of optic disk melanocytoma using a high-resolution 10-20 MHz ophthalmic ultrasound.

Methods : A 10-year retrospective review of 8 cases with optic disk melanocytoma. All patients had a comprehensive ophthalmological examination and fluorescein angiography prior to the study. The same experienced ophthalmologist performed all echographic studies. The form and density of the lesions were evaluated with B-scan ultrasound. Internal reflectivity and vascularity of the lesions were assessed with a standardized A-scan. Dimensions of the tumor were obtained using both ultrasound AB modes by base (vertical and horizontal) and height.

Results : All patients were female. The mean (SD) age of diagnosis was 47 years (±11.4). Mean best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) in affected eyes was 0.3975 (± 0.5667) LogMAR. The temporal inferior quadrant was the most commonly involved region of the optic disk (75%). We observed 37.5% of the cases had invasion to the adjacent retinal tissue. In retina fluorescein angiography; 75% of tumors showed hypofluorescence, and the remaining 25% were isofluorescent. Ultrasound proved absence of vascularization in 7 cases. Mean (SD) vertical measurement of the base was 2.16mm (±1.12). Mean (SD) horizontal measurement of the base was 2.46mm (±1.11). Mean height (SD) was 1.53mm (±0.94). 50% of the cases had high internal reflectivity and the remaining half had very-high internal reflectivity. The shape of the tumor by ultrasound was reported as “dome” in 62.5%; “flat” in 25% and “mushroom” in 12.5%. All tumors’ internal structure was characteristically homogeneous.

Conclusions : Melanocytomas are small benign tumors that are highly assessable by ocular ultrasound when their elevation surpasses 0.5mm. In our study, the internal reflectivity ranged from high to very high, unlike other malignancies like choroidal melanoma that tends to present with low internal reflectivity. The avascularity of the tumor is a common finding. Ultrasound is a remarkable tool that helps detect benign characteristics in a pigmented optic disk tumor and helps establish a more reliable diagnosis.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×