September 2016
Volume 57, Issue 12
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2016
Outcomes in Type I Retinopathy of Prematurity treated with intravitreal bevacizumab
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Adnan Mallick
    Ophthalmology, Northshore-LIJ , Manhasset, New York, United States
  • Brian Savoie
    Ophthalmology, Northshore-LIJ , Manhasset, New York, United States
  • Ronni M Lieberman
    Ophthalmology, Northshore-LIJ , Manhasset, New York, United States
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Adnan Mallick, None; Brian Savoie, None; Ronni Lieberman, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science September 2016, Vol.57, 6295. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to Subscribers Only
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Adnan Mallick, Brian Savoie, Ronni M Lieberman; Outcomes in Type I Retinopathy of Prematurity treated with intravitreal bevacizumab. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):6295.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : This study aimed to determine the efficacy and complications associated with the use of intravitreal bevacizumab (IVB) (Avastin®; Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, CA) for treatment of Type I Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP).

Methods : In this retrospective study, 17 eyes of 10 patients with Type I ROP treated with IVB between 2012-2015 were analyzed. 3 eyes of 2 patients were not included due to inadequate follow-up. All patients included had at least 6 months of follow up after treatment. Records were reviewed for birth-weight, gender, gestational age, chronological age at time of treatment, ROP classification, and length of follow up.
Main outcome measurements included dilated fundus exam at last visit, recurrence of disease, and refractive error. Dilated fundus examination was recorded as: attached with no macular dragging, attached with macular dragging, detached stage 4 or detached stage 5. Recurrences were defined as new or recurrent neovascularization with or without plus disease. The time to recurrence, subsequent treatment and results were recorded for each recurrence. Refractive error was also recorded.

Results : Of the 8 patients (14 eyes) included in the study, average birth-weight was 776.5g (Range 460-1190g), average gestational-age 24.50 weeks (Range 23-28 weeks), and average chronological age at time of treatment 36.79 weeks (Range 32-45 weeks). 4 patients (50%) were male. 2 eyes (14%) were injected for stage III, zone II, pre-plus disease with neovascularization of the iris; the remaining 12 (86%) had zone 1 with plus disease. Average length of follow up was 467 days. On follow up, all 14 eyes (100%) remained attached with no macular dragging. 13 eyes (93%) reached maturity without further complication. 1 eye (7%) experienced recurrence of neovascularization with plus disease requiring retreatment at 8 weeks. After retreatment, there was regression of disease and no further complication on 15 months of follow up. No significant refractive error requiring spectacle correction was identified in any of the patients included.

Conclusions : Findings suggest that IVB use is effective in treating type I ROP in this small series of patients. No evidence of significant refractive error or evidence of macular dragging was found, which has been shown with conventional laser therapy. Further trials are needed to assess long-term safety and complications.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×