Purchase this article with an account.
Cheryl M. Ethen, Cavan Reilly, Xiao Feng, Timothy W. Olsen, Deborah A. Ferrington; The Proteome of Central and Peripheral Retina with Progression of Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006;47(6):2280-2290. doi: https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.05-1395.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
purpose. A growing understanding of the molecular events in age-related macular degeneration (AMD) has lead to targeted therapies for a select group of patients with advanced AMD. Development of therapies for the earlier stages requires further elucidation of disease mechanisms. In this study, a proteomics approach was used to identify proteins that had altered content in human donor eyes with progression of AMD.
methods. The early molecular events associated with AMD were identified by comparing the proteome of the macular and peripheral neurosensory retina during four progressive stages of AMD. Proteins were resolved and quantified by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Twenty-six proteins exhibited changes in content and were identified by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization—time of flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry. Two-dimensional (2-D) and semiquantitative one-dimensional (1-D) Western blot analyses were used to determine whether changes identified by proteomic analysis were specific for a protein subpopulation or representative of the entire protein population.
results. Twenty-six proteins were identified that exhibited changes at disease onset or with progression (indicating potential causal mechanisms) and at end-stage disease (indicating potential secondary consequences). These proteins are involved in key functional pathways, such as microtubule regulation and protection from stress-induced protein unfolding. Approximately 60% of the proteins exhibited changes specific to either the macula or periphery, with the remaining 40% changing in both regions. These results imply that both the macula and periphery are affected by AMD.
conclusions. This study provides the first direct evidence of AMD stage- and region-specific changes in retinal protein levels and highlights potential novel, disease-related proteins and biochemical pathways for future studies of AMD.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only