Purchase this article with an account.
Young Bin Choy, Samirkumar R. Patel, Jung-Hwan Park, Bernard E. McCarey, Henry F. Edelhauser, Mark R. Prausnitz; Mucoadhesive Microparticles in a Rapidly Dissolving Tablet for Sustained Drug Delivery to the Eye. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011;52(5):2627-2633. doi: https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.10-6465.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To test the hypothesis that mucoadhesive microparticles formulated in a rapidly dissolving tablet can achieve sustained drug delivery to the eye.
Mucoadhesive microparticles, smaller than 5 μm were fabricated with poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) and poly(ethylene glycol) as a core material and mucoadhesion promoter, respectively, and encapsulated pilocarpine as a model drug. These microparticles were embedded in a poly(vinyl alcohol) matrix to form a dry tablet designed to reduce rapid clearance of the microparticles on initial application to the eye.
This in vitro drug release study exhibited that for all formulations, approximately 90% of pilocarpine was released during the first 10 minutes, and the remaining 10% was released slowly for 3 hours. In vivo mucoadhesion test on the rabbit eye indicated that mucoadhesive microparticles adhered significantly better to the preocular surface than other formulations. To assess the pharmacodynamics, the most prolonged pilocarpine-induced pupil constriction was observed in rabbit eyes in vivo using a tablet with mucoadhesive microparticles; it lasted up to 330 minutes.
The authors conclude that mucoadhesive microparticles formulated into a dry dosage form is a promising system for sustained drug delivery to the eye.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only