Purchase this article with an account.
Hyesun Kim, Jeong Ho Yi, Hee Jung Kwon, Christopher Lee, SungChul lee; Prognostic Factors after Treatment of Patients with Retinal Capillary Hemangioma(RCH). Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013;54(15):5884.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To report observations regarding the regression and visual outcome after treatment of eyes with retinal capillary hemangioma (RCH)
Retrospective consecutive case series. A total of 37 eyes of 32 patients with RCH were included in this study. Data were analyzed for basic characteristics, regression of RCH and visual outcome after treatment.
The mean age at diagnosis in cases with RCH was 30.6 year (range, 5~56 years).The RCH was bilateral in 6 cases (19%), and von Hippel-Lindau disease was positive in 15 cases(47%). Seven of tumors (19%) touched optic disc and were classified as juxtapapillary RCH, and the remaining 30 (81%) were extrapapillary in location. Twenty (54%) cases were single tumor and 17(46%) were multiple (mean: 2.4, range:1~21). Nine (24%) RCH were 1.5mm or smaller and 3 (8%) were larger than 6mm in size. Initially accompanying exudation, serous fluid and retinal detachement were 27 (73%), 11 (30%) and 7 (19%).Twenty four (75%) of 32(87%) treated RCH were regressed. The mean number of treatment was 1.87 (range, 1~9) and cases experienced complication after treatment was 17 (53%). RCH was treated in 29 of 30(97%) extrapapillary cases vs 4 of 7(57%) juxtapapillary cases (p<0.001). Visual improvement after the treatment was significantly related to the regression of RCH after the treatment (p=0.024) and the number of treatment(1.26 vs 2.50, p=0.02). Multivariate logistic regression identified the regression of RCH after the treatment(p=0.028,odds ratio=13.76;confidence interval=1.3,142) as predictive factor for visual improvement. Better final vision (>20/50) was significantly related to initial better vision (>20/50) (p=0.0002), regression of RCH (p=0.0014), absence of retinal detachement (RD) (p=0.012), absence of complication after treatment (p=0.015), initially no need for treatment (p=0.036).
This study suggests that the prognostic factors for better visual outcome after treatment of RCH are initial better vision, regression of RCH, absence of retinal detachement (RD), absence of complication after treatment, initially no need for treatment.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only