November 1986
Volume 27, Issue 11
Free
Articles  |   November 1986
Quantitative estimation of metabolic transport of subretinal fluid.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science November 1986, Vol.27, 1564-1568. doi:
  • Views
  • PDF
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      A Negi, M F Marmor; Quantitative estimation of metabolic transport of subretinal fluid.. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1986;27(11):1564-1568.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

A new technique to measure the ongoing rate of subretinal fluid resorption inside the living eye is described. Experimental non-rhegmatogenous detachments (blebs) were made in the posterior pole of rabbit eyes by injecting fluid directly into the subretinal space, and the height of these blebs was measured with a YAG laser focusing system utilizing dual He-Ne beams. The resorption rate for Hanks' balanced salt solution was relatively constant during the initial 2.5 hr, and averaged 0.12 +/- 0.04 microliter/mm2/hr. The resorption rate for blebs made with non-ionic solution (isotonic sucrose) was only 0.03 microliter/mm2/hr. The resorption rate for blebs made with Hanks' solution plus 1 mM DNP was 0.04 microliter/mm2/hr. These data support the concept that subretinal fluid is resorbed primarily across the retinal pigment epithelium, and suggests that 70% of this absorption is dependent upon active ionic transport. The remaining 30% is probably driven by the higher oncotic pressure of the choroid.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×