Purchase this article with an account.
SHAMELI GUZMAN TAPIA, Oscar Fernandez, Oscar Baca, Regina Velasco, Alejandro Babayan, Elisa Dessire Alegria, Cristina Pacheco Del Valle; Quality of life in patients with Keratoconus. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014;55(13):173.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To determine the quality of life in patients with Keratoconus.
This is a cross-sectional study. VFQ-25 questionnaire (Spanish validated, self assesment version) was applied to 38 patients diagnosed with Keratoconus from Cornea and Refractive Surgery Department at “Hospital de la Luz” between May 2013 and October 2013. Results were obtained through multiple-choice answer about the problems related to daily life caused by their vision. We divided the groups due to the score obtained as good, fair and poor quality of life. It was also considered age, sex, use of contact lens and previous ocular surgery.
Nineteen of 38 patients studied were female (50%). We used Amsler-Krumeich scale to clasify Keratoconus. Most patients (90%) had moderate, while the remainder (10%) had severe Ketatoconus. Age median was 26 years (range13-58). We found an increased incidence in patients with ages between 21 and 30 years, with no predominance of sex. No contact lens users (42%) and Gas permeable rigid contact lens users (45%). Five from 6 scales of the VFQ-25 questionnaire showed mild decline (Near activity, distance activity, role difficulties, mental health and ocular pain). Driving scale showed the most significant affection (53%). Through VFQ-25 Questionnaire we obtain a good or fair quality of life in most patients (92.10%).
We found a fair life quality in most patients with moderate Keratoconus, which allows them to perform their activities of daily living, but without obtaining a total satisfaction. Patients in a productive age require the highest possible visual acuity, so that the control of quality of life expected, is of equal importance as the clinical monitoring and management of these patients.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only