Purchase this article with an account.
Khalid Al Rubaie, Nicola G Ghazi, Fernando J Arevalo; Long Term Outcomes of 20G versus 23G Pars Plana Vitrectomy in the Treatment of Traumatic Macular Hole. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014;55(13):321. doi: https://doi.org/.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To compare the long-term results of 23- and 20-gauge pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) for traumatic macular hole (TMH)
A retrospective, comparative case series of 29 consecutive eyes of 29 patients with TMH that underwent either 23- or 20-gauge PPV was conducted. The main outcome measure was the anatomical closure rate following surgery.
Among 29 patients, 6 (20.8%) were younger than 16 years. Twenty-five patients (86.2%) were males. Twenty gauge PPV was performed in 16 eyes (55.2%) and 23-gauge PPV was performed in the remaining 13 eyes (44.8%). Dye-assisted internal limiting membrane peeling was performed in all but 3 (10.3%) eyes. Anatomical failure was seen in a total of 11 eyes (37.9%). Among those, 6 eyes (54.4%) were in the 23-gauge PPV group and 5 (45.6%) in the 20-gauge PPV group. The success rate was not statistically significantly different between the two groups. None of the eyes developed retinal breaks or detachment.
Twenty three-gauge PPV has a similar success rate to twenty-gauge PPV in TMH.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only