Purchase this article with an account.
Enzo M Vingolo, Erika Rigoni, Carmela Carnevale, Paolo G. Limoli, Daniela Domanico; long term results on visual function of apodized multifocal IOLs. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014;55(13):3747.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To long term study corrected and uncorrected visual acuity, dependency on spectacles and contrast sensitivity function in the in patients undergoing bilateral implantation of multifocal intraocular lens (IOL) .
29 patients, mean age 74 ± 3 years (range : 65-83 years), with the absence retinal disease, were bilaterally implanted, during the period between 2006 and 2010, with multifocal intraocular lens IOL (AcrySof ReSTOR IOL, Alcon). subjects were studied at intervals of 3 (T0 ), 6 ( T1 ), 12 ( T2) , 36 ( T3) and 60 (T4) months after surgery , patients were subjected to measurement of visual acuity ( BCVA ) monocular and binocular by Snellen optotype at a distance of 33cm to 3m and reading, and contrast sensitivity at time T0 and T3.
At T0, the average BCVA without optical correction for distance, was 0.05 logMAR in 17 patients (58 %) and the remaining 12 (42%) 0.05 logMAR with optical correction of ±0.50 sferical equivalent. Only five patients required an additional lens average of +2.50 sf for reading at a distance of 33cm . At T1, the results appeared unchanged. At T2, 25 patients were examined, and only five (25 %) required an average optical correction for distance of ±0.50 and 3 ( 6 %) of an average optical correction for near equal to +2.50 sf. At T3 and T4 were examined 18 patients and has been registered for a distance of 0.0 logMAR BCVA without optical correction and only one patient (6%) needed correction +3 sf for reading at 33cm . Contrst sensitivity (CS) evaluated for 18 patients remained within the normal range with a CS loss for high spatial frequencies. All implanted patients underwent to a YAG laser capsulotomy before T1.
Results show that, even in the long term, patients with bilaterally implantated with apodized multifocal intraocular lens (IOL) remain independent of an optical correction. This effect is apparent at all distances. Moreover CS is not affected in long term examination by the apodized multifocal IOL design.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only