Purchase this article with an account.
Yufei Tu, Sergio Schwartzman, David S Chu; Disease Activity of Adult Patients with a History of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Associated Uveitis. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014;55(13):5325.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To study whether uveitis activity subsides in patients with history of uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) as they become adults.
Retrospective chart review using the following criteria: patients with history of JIA and noninfectious uveitis; at lease one office visit at age equal or greater than 17 years.
20 subjects were identified. 19 of 20 (95%) patients were female. Mean age at the final visit was 25.6 years (range, 17-43). Bilateral uveitis represents 17 cases (85%). There were 10 anterior uveitis (50%), 2 intermediate (10%), and 8 panuveitis (40%). 6 patients was inactive and medication-free (Group I) at the last visit (6/20, 30%). Among the rest (Group A), of 14 patients (70%), 3 patients had active disease with immunomodulatory therapy (IMT) or topical anti-inflammatory therapy and 11 patients (55%) were inactive with IMT. Among patients in I, average best-corrected logMAR visual acuity (BCVA) in the better eye was 0.07 at the final visit. For group A, the average BCVA in the better eye was 0.16. Among those patients, biologics including adalimumab and infliximab were used in 8 patients (8/14, 57%). Cataract (14, 70%) and glaucoma (8, 40%) were the most common complications of all patients. Among all patients, 8 (40%) had cataract surgery and 2 (10%) had glaucoma surgery.
Uveitis of most patients with history of JIA continues to be active or requires treatment through early to middle adulthood. Although the visual acuity among these patients is excellent, the need for cataract surgery among them is common.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only