Purchase this article with an account.
Aurelie Pison, Benedicte Marie Dupas, Pierre-Raphael Rothschild, Aude Couturier, Ramin Tadayoni; Evolution of Subfoveal Detachments Secondary to Idiopathic Epiretinal Membranes after surgery. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2015;56(7 ):5043. doi: https://doi.org/.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To describe the evolution of subfoveal detachments (SD) secondary to idiopathic epiretinal membranes (ERM) after surgery.
Retrospective, observational cohort study. The files of 344 patients operated on consecutively for ERM, over a two-year period in a single tertiary ophthalmologic center (hôpital Lariboisière, Paris, France) were reviewed. Patients with vitreo-macular traction syndrome were excluded, as well as patients with secondary ERM. In all, 293 eyes with idiopathic ERM were included in the final analysis.<br /> Main Outcome Measures: Presence or absence of the SD (on SD-OCT and fundus photographs) before and after surgery at 1 month, 3 months and at the final visit ; logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution (logMAR) visual acuity and Central Macular Thickness (CMT) at baseline, 1 month, 3 month and at the final visit.
A SD was found in 59/293 eyes (20 %). Mean post-operative follow-up duration was 4.8± 3.2 months. Sixty-eight percent of the SD totally disappeared after surgery (n=40/59); Among the 40 eyes with SD disappearance, 33/40 (82%) had the SD disappeared at the 3 months visit. For the 7/40 remaining eyes (18%), whose SD disappearance was noticed later than 3 months, SD disappeared with a mean of 5.11 months (range, 5-10 months).<br /> There was no difference in the postoperative VA and the postoperative CMT between patients with a disappeared SD and those with a persistent SD.
SD are frequently associated with idiopathic ERM, and disappear after surgery in 2/3 of cases, usually early during post-operative course. They don’t affect visual outcome.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only