April 2010
Volume 51, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   April 2010
Changes in Human Meibum With Age and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • D. Borchman
    Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences,
    University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
  • G. N. Foulks
    Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences,
    University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
  • M. C. Yappert
    Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences,
    Chemistry,
    University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  D. Borchman, None; G.N. Foulks, None; M.C. Yappert, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  Supported by Public Health Service research grant EY017094-03 (Bethesda, MD., U.S.A.), the Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation, and an unrestricted grant from Research to Prevent Blindness Inc.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science April 2010, Vol.51, 3383. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      D. Borchman, G. N. Foulks, M. C. Yappert; Changes in Human Meibum With Age and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2010;51(13):3383.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: : Changes in the phase transition temperatures and conformation of human meibum lipid with age and meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) have been quantified but with analysis of less than 1% of the infrared spectrum. The remaining 99 % of the spectra were further analyzed with principal component analysis (PCA) and confirm our previous studies as well as providing further insights into changes that occur in meibum with age, disease and therapy.

Methods: : Infrared spectra of meibum from 41 patients diagnosed with MGD (Md) and 27 normal donors (Mn) were measured. Principal component analysis (PCA) was used to quantify the variance between the spectra.

Results: : Age related differences.

Conclusions: : PCA is an excellent chemometric algorithm that may be used to diagnose and characterize MGD and age related changes in human meibum. With additional samples measured in the future, the training set will improve even more. PCA could be used by an untrained person as an initial diagnostic screening procedure for MGD. The eigenvectors that define the variations in the spectra with age and disease provide clues to the compositional and functional changes that occur in meibum with age and disease

Keywords: lipids • aging • cornea: tears/tear film/dry eye 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×