May 2008
Volume 49, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2008
Endophthalmitis Caused by Staphylococcus epidermidis: A Ten Year Review of Antibiotic Sensitivities and Visual Outcomes
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • C. P. Nix
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
  • D. M. Miller
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
  • D. Miller
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
  • H. W. Flynn, Jr.
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  C.P. Nix, None; D.M. Miller, None; D. Miller, None; H.W. Flynn, Alcon, C; Allergan, C; Eyetech, C; Genentech, C; Pfizer, C; Optimedica, C.
  • Footnotes
    Support  Research to Prevent Blindness; P30 EY014801
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2008, Vol.49, 956. doi:https://doi.org/
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      C. P. Nix, D. M. Miller, D. Miller, H. W. Flynn, Jr.; Endophthalmitis Caused by Staphylococcus epidermidis: A Ten Year Review of Antibiotic Sensitivities and Visual Outcomes. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008;49(13):956. doi: https://doi.org/.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: : To investigate the clinical settings, management strategies, antibiotic sensitivities, and visual outcomes for eyes with endophthalmitis caused by Staphylococcus epidermidis.

Methods: : A retrospective, consecutive case series of all patients treated for culture-proven S. epidermidis endophthalmitis at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute between January 1, 1996 and December 31, 2006 was conducted.

Results: : The study included 119 eyes from 119 patients. Clinical settings included post-cataract (73), glaucoma (17), trauma (14), penetrating keratoplasty (6), vitrectomy (4), intravitreal injection (3), corneal suture ulcer (1), and endogenous (1). A vitreous tap and inject was performed initially in 91 (76%) eyes and a vitrectomy was performed initially in the remaining 28 (24%) eyes. All eyes received intravitreal vancomycin and either ceftazidime or amikacin on the day of presentation. In vitro antibiotic sensitivities of the isolates were as follows: vancomycin,100% (119/119); gatifloxicin, 64% (42/66); moxifloxicin, 62% (39/63); and, methacillin/oxicillin, 60% (71/119). More recent isolates were also tested for sensitivity to the newer antibiotics linezolid and quinupristin/datfopristin. Of the 34 isolates tested, 100% were sensitive to both linezolid and quinupristin/datfopristin. Best visual acuity after treatment was 20/40 or better in 43 (36%) eyes; 20/50 to 20/200 in 35 (30%) eyes; 20/400 to 5/200 in 17 (14%) eyes; and, <5/200 in 24 (20%) eyes.

Conclusions: : Although all S. epidermidis isolates remained sensitive to vancomycin, a large number were resistant to the fourth generation fluoroquinolones. All tested isolates resistant to these fourth generation fluoroquinolones were sensitive to the newer antibiotics, linezolid and quinupristin/datfopristin. Endophthalmitis caused by S. epidermidis may present in a number of clinical settings and may lead to both favorable and unfavorable visual outcomes.

Keywords: endophthalmitis • microbial pathogenesis: clinical studies • retina 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×