May 2008
Volume 49, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2008
Photoreceptor Outer Segment Disruption Seen With High Resolution Fourier Domain OCT versus Time Domain OCT
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • B. W. Lee
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • S. R. Sadda
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • A. C. Walsh
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • A. A. Fawzi
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • D. Eliott
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • L. P. Chong
    Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  B.W. Lee, None; S.R. Sadda, Topcon, C; Heidelberg Engineering, C; Topcon, P; Topcon, R; Heidelberg Engineering, R; A.C. Walsh, Topcon, C; Heidelberg Engineering, C; Topcon, P; Topcon, R; Heidelberg Engineering, R; A.A. Fawzi, None; D. Eliott, None; L.P. Chong, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2008, Vol.49, 2155. doi:https://doi.org/
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      B. W. Lee, S. R. Sadda, A. C. Walsh, A. A. Fawzi, D. Eliott, L. P. Chong; Photoreceptor Outer Segment Disruption Seen With High Resolution Fourier Domain OCT versus Time Domain OCT. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008;49(13):2155. doi: https://doi.org/.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: : Recent reports have indicated that disruption of the photoreceptor outer segments may be visible with high resolution 3D Fourier domain OCT (3D-OCT) yet may not be visible with time domain OCT (TD-OCT). To study this question, we compared the detection of photoreceptor outer segment disruption (POSD) with TD-OCT to detection with 3D-OCT.

Methods: : 3D-OCT scans (128 x 512) were obtained using a Fourier domain OCT instrument (3D-OCT-1000, Topcon, Japan) in 50 eyes of 28 consecutive patients undergoing simultaneous conventional time-domain (6 x 512) StratusOCT (ver. 4.0, Carl Zeiss Meditec, CA) for various diagnoses in a tertiary retina practice. Two graders reviewed each set of scans in an independent, masked fashion specifically identifying the inner segment - outer segment (IS-OS) junction. Photoreceptor outer segment discontinuities (POSD) were graded as "present," "absent," "questionable" or "can't grade." Discrepancies between graders were adjudicated. For purposes of analysis, findings still deemed as questionable after adjudication were considered as "present." The ground truth for each case was determined by merging the findings from both methods to generate the maximal possible level of detection for each finding.

Results: : POSD was detected in a total of 15 out of 50 eyes (30%). TD-OCT detected POSD in 6/15 scans (40%) while 3D-OCT detected POSD in 14/15 scans (93%). TD-OCT detected POSD in 1 case (7%) where 3D-OCT failed to detect it. 3D-OCT detected POSD in 8 cases (53%) where TD-OCT failed to detect it. Using the combined findings as the ground truth, the overall sensitivity of TD-OCT for detection of POSD was 40% while the sensitivity of 3D-OCT was 93%.

Conclusions: : 3D-OCT is more sensitive than TD-OCT for detection of photoreceptor outer segment disruption. Our results verify other reports that high resolution OCT demonstrates this finding more reliably. Posterior outer segment disruption may explain visual symptoms in some patients with otherwise unexplained visual loss.

Keywords: imaging methods (CT, FA, ICG, MRI, OCT, RTA, SLO, ultrasound) • photoreceptors • imaging/image analysis: clinical 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×