May 2008
Volume 49, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2008
Is Low Intraocular Pressure Post Trabeculectomy a Risk Factor for Future Outcome?
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • A. Lockwood
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • M. Lamont
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • M. Thiagarajan
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • S. Yeoh
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • S. Trikha
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • J. Kirwan
    Ophthalmology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  A. Lockwood, None; M. Lamont, None; M. Thiagarajan, None; S. Yeoh, None; S. Trikha, None; J. Kirwan, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2008, Vol.49, 4164. doi:https://doi.org/
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      A. Lockwood, M. Lamont, M. Thiagarajan, S. Yeoh, S. Trikha, J. Kirwan; Is Low Intraocular Pressure Post Trabeculectomy a Risk Factor for Future Outcome?. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008;49(13):4164. doi: https://doi.org/.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: : Ocular hypotony is associated with increased inflammation and poor bleb function. This study aims to determine whether day 1 postoperative hypotony is a risk factor for later failure of trabeculectomy surgery in patients with releasable sutures.

Methods: : A consecutive case series of 102 eyes of 89 patients with primary open angle glaucoma who underwent trabeculectomy for uncontrolled intraocular pressure (IOP) despite maximally tolerated medical treatment. Patients with a day 1 post op IOP of less than 6 mm Hg were compared to those with an IOP of greater than or equal to 6 mm Hg. The success rates between the two groups were examined. Failure was defined as an IOP of 18 mm Hg or more or the commencement of ocular hypotensive medication.

Results: : Twelve (12 %) trabeculectomies had a day 1 post op IOP of less than 6 mm Hg and a mean follow up of 21 months. The remaining 90 (88 %) trabeculectomies had a day 1 IOP of greater than or equal to 6 mm Hg and a mean follow up of 18 months. At last follow up 6 (50 %) were successful in the less than 6 mm Hg group compared with 90 (76 %) in the greater than or equal to 6 mm Hg group (P = 0.01 log-rank test).

Keywords: trabecular meshwork • aqueous 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×