May 2008
Volume 49, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2008
Retinal Artery Occlusion Associated With a Patent Foramen Ovale: Diagnostic Role of Transcranial Doppler Sonography
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • F. Florio
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Department of Ophthalmology,,
  • B. Iaccheri
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Department of Ophthalmology,,
  • G. Schillaci
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Unit of Internal Medicine, Angiology and Arteriosclerosis Diseases, Department of Clinical and Exper,
  • G. Cardaioli
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Neurologic Clinic, Department of Medical and Surgical Specialties and Public Health,
  • L. Biondi
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Department of Ophthalmology,,
  • F. Pietrolucci
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Department of Ophthalmology,,
  • T. Fiore
    University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
    Department of Ophthalmology,,
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  F. Florio, None; B. Iaccheri, None; G. Schillaci, None; G. Cardaioli, None; L. Biondi, None; F. Pietrolucci, None; T. Fiore, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2008, Vol.49, 6118. doi:https://doi.org/
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      F. Florio, B. Iaccheri, G. Schillaci, G. Cardaioli, L. Biondi, F. Pietrolucci, T. Fiore; Retinal Artery Occlusion Associated With a Patent Foramen Ovale: Diagnostic Role of Transcranial Doppler Sonography. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008;49(13):6118. doi: https://doi.org/.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose: : To evaluate the prevalence of patent foramen ovale (PFO) detected by contrast-enhanced Transcranial Doppler Sonography (TCD) and Trans-Thoracic Echocardiography in a consecutive unselected cohort of patients with retinal artery occlusion.

Methods: : The study population consisted of 23 consecutive patients with a diagnosis of central and branch retinal artery occlusion. All the patients underwent contrast-enhanced Transcranial Doppler Sonography (TCD) and Transtoracic Echocardiography (TTE) as a part of systemic evaluation.

Results: : . In 11 patients (47.8 %) a bilateral absence of the temporal bone acoustic window was present. In the remaining 12 patients (52.2 %) the prevalence of right-to-left shunt (RLS), as detected by TCD was 41.6%. Contrast enhanced TTE confirmed the presence of PFO in 33.3% of the patients. In the 8.3 % of patients in which TTE did not confirm the presence of PFO, a, extracardiac condition probably accounted for the presence of RLS.

Conclusions: : Nearly half of all patients with retinal artery occlusion have a right-to-left shunt due to a patent foramen ovale suggesting that retinal artery occlusion and patent foramen ovale have higher coincidences than expected by chance only. The use of TCD in the detection of patent foramen ovale is limited in old patients because of a bilateral absence of temporal bone acoustic window. In patients undergoing both TCD and TTE these two techniques show an almost perfect concordance in PFO detection in patiens with retinal artery occlusion.

Keywords: vascular occlusion/vascular occlusive disease • ischemia • imaging/image analysis: clinical 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×