May 2007
Volume 48, Issue 13
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2007
Bevacizumab (Avastin) Intravitreal Injection in Patients With Choroidal Neovascularization Associated With Pathologic Myopia
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • I. Zucca
    Ophthalmology, University, Cagliari, Italy
  • F. Orru`
    Ophthalmology, University, Cagliari, Italy
  • M. Vinci
    Ophthalmology, University, Cagliari, Italy
  • E. Peiretti
    Ophthalmology, University, Cagliari, Italy
  • M. Fossarello
    Ophthalmology, University, Cagliari, Italy
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships I. Zucca, None; F. Orru`, None; M. Vinci, None; E. Peiretti, None; M. Fossarello, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2007, Vol.48, 1451. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      I. Zucca, F. Orru`, M. Vinci, E. Peiretti, M. Fossarello; Bevacizumab (Avastin) Intravitreal Injection in Patients With Choroidal Neovascularization Associated With Pathologic Myopia. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007;48(13):1451. doi:

      Download citation file:

      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

  • Supplements

Purpose:: to evaluate the short-term efficacy of intravitreal injection of bevacizumab (Avastin) in patients with choroidal neovascularization (CNV) associated with pathologic myopia (PM).

Methods:: retrospective study. Eighteen patients (mean age 55 yrs) with CNV associated with PM (mean - 12 diopters +/- 5)were treated with at least one intravitreal injection of 1.25 mg bevacizumab.Six patients were treated with verteporfin PDT before bevacizumab injection. Patients underwent a complete ophthalmological examinationat baseline and at follow-up visits, including Snellen visual acuity (VA) testing, optical coherence tomography (OCT), fluorescein (FA) and indocyanine green (ICG) retinal angiography .The minimum follow-up time was 9 months. The patients who showed recurrence of the lesion, as assessed by FA, ICG and OCT, were retreated for a maximum of 4 injections.

Results:: pre-treatment mean best corrected (BC) VA was 5.34/20. At 3 months follow-up, mean BCVA was 8.24/20. At nine months follow up, 90% of patients demonstrated an improvement of VA from 1 to 3 Snellen lines. The remaining 10% of patients showed stabilizations of VA acuity with minimal amount of subretinal fluid, as assessed by OCT examination. No significant ocular or systemic side effects were observed in our patients after bevacizumab injection.

Conclusions:: intravitreal injection of bevacizumab may be considered an option for patients with CNV associated with pathologic myopia.

Keywords: choroid: neovascularization • myopia • drug toxicity/drug effects 

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.