Purchase this article with an account.
M. Kawai, S. Ishiko, T. Ogawa, Y. Kato, A. Yoshida, K. Kikuchi, H. Shimizu, C. Seki; Performance of Frequency-Doubling Technology in Clinical Screening. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007;48(13):1632.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To investigate the performance of frequency doubling technology (FDT) in clinical screening.
We investigated 2,140 subjects who underwent FDT and a non-stereo fundus photography evaluation at the Hokkaido Social Insurance Health Care and Research Center. Subjects who had at least one abnormal point in either eye based on the FDT C-20-1 screening program (FDT positive) were recommended for another examination despite the results of the non-stereo fundus photography evaluation. The parameters measured were visual acuity, refractive error, and intraocular pressure; a total fundus examination including optic disc evaluation was performed. When subjects were FDT positive in both eyes, the right eye was included in the study; when subjects were FDT positive in either eye, the affected eye was included.
Of 2,140 subjects, 352 subjects (16.4%) were FDT positive; 160 subjects underwent a further examination in our center. Ninety-nine subjects (61.9%) had been diagnosed as abnormal, while the other 61 subjects (38.1%) had been diagnosed as normal based on a previous non-stereo fundus photograph evaluation. The diseases detected by the additional examination were glaucoma, 55 subjects (34%); high myopia changes, 24 subjects (15%); cataract, 3 subjects (2%); preretinal membrane, 3 subjects (2%); and optic disc hypoplasia, 3 subjects (2%). In the 55 subjects with glaucoma, 31 subjects (56.4%) had been diagnosed as normal based on a previous non-stereo photography evaluation. Some subjects were correctly diagnosed as having glaucoma, although they were diagnosed incorrectly as normal based on the non-stereo fundus evaluation.
We can improve glaucoma detection using FDT together with a non-stereo fundus photography evaluation. During clinical screening, FDT should be recommended to avoid false negative diagnoses of glaucoma.
observational case series
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only