May 2007
Volume 48, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2007
Biologic Agents in the Treatment of Refractory Pediatric Uveitis
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • K. Quinones
    Ocular Immunology and Uveitis, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • T. Yilmaz
    Ocular Immunology and Uveitis, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • S. M. Acevedo
    Ocular Immunology and Uveitis, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • M. Gallagher
    Ocular Immunology and Uveitis, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • C. S. Foster
    Ocular Immunology and Uveitis, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships K. Quinones, None; T. Yilmaz, None; S.M. Acevedo, None; M. Gallagher, None; C.S. Foster, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support None.
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2007, Vol.48, 3910. doi:https://doi.org/
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      K. Quinones, T. Yilmaz, S. M. Acevedo, M. Gallagher, C. S. Foster; Biologic Agents in the Treatment of Refractory Pediatric Uveitis. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007;48(13):3910. doi: https://doi.org/.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose:: To assess the efficacy and safety of various biologic agents in the treatment of noninfectious, refractory pediatric uveitis.

Methods:: All pediatric patients treated with a biologic agent for their uveitis were identified. Main outcome measures included the quantitative measurement of intraocular inflammation, corticosteroid-sparing effects of the agent, and changes in visual acuity.

Results:: Twenty five patients (46 eyes) with refractory uveitis were identified. The biologics, used adjunctively with immunomodulating agents in 23 patients, included Daclizumab (n=3), Adalimumab (n=7), and Infliximab (n=15). The mean follow-up time for treatment was 8, 11, and 13 months, respectively. Diagnosis of the participants included: juvenile idiopathic arthritis with uveitis (n=20), two with idiopathic anterior uveitis, and one patient each with Adamantiades-Behcet Disease, sarcoid associated uveitis, and idiopathic panuveitis. There was evidence of decreased intraocular inflammation in 92% of patients. The remaining 8% of subjects maintained their initial presentation. This finding correlated with a reduction in the use of topical and/or systemic corticosteroids. With regard to visual acuities, there was an overall improvement in 76% while 20% remained stable. Therapy was generally well tolerated, except in one patient who developed respiratory distress and had to discontinue the agent (Infliximab).

Conclusions:: The biologic agents included in this study appear to be effective, well-tolerated, and valuable alternatives in the treatment of refractory pediatric uveitis.

Keywords: clinical (human) or epidemiologic studies: outcomes/complications • inflammation • clinical (human) or epidemiologic studies: treatment/prevention assessment/controlled clinical trials 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×