May 2005
Volume 46, Issue 13
Free
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   May 2005
Natural History of Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion: Reanalysis of Visual Outcomes and Prognosis
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • P.A. Nixon
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • J.O. Mason, III
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • T. Emond
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • R.M. Feist
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • M.F. White, Jr
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • M.L. Thomley
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • B.W. Roberts
    Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships  P.A. Nixon, None; J.O. Mason, III, None; T. Emond, None; R.M. Feist, None; M.F. White, Jr., None; M.L. Thomley, None; B.W. Roberts, None.
  • Footnotes
    Support  Research to Prevent Blindness; New York, New York
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science May 2005, Vol.46, 4026. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      P.A. Nixon, J.O. Mason, III, T. Emond, R.M. Feist, M.F. White, Jr, M.L. Thomley, B.W. Roberts; Natural History of Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion: Reanalysis of Visual Outcomes and Prognosis . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2005;46(13):4026.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Abstract: : Purpose: To evaluate the natural course, prognosis, and visual outcomes of patients with branch retinal artery occlusion and assess visual recovery statistics as documented in previous publications. Methods: Retrospective medical record review of patients with the diagnosis of BRAO was performed in a private vitreoretinal practice. The standard care for all eyes was observation. Patients with concurrent retinal disease were excluded. Results: The mean duration between onset of symptoms and initial examination with confirmation of the diagnosis of BRAO was two months. The mean presenting best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) was 20/400. At mean 12 months follow up, the mean BCVA was 20/200. No eye developed anterior or posterior segment neovascularization or other complication. Conclusions: Although 69% of eyes had a final BCVA of >20/40, the remaining 31% had severe vision loss due to BRAO. This study is ongoing and long term follow up data will be forthcoming.

Keywords: vascular occlusion/vascular occlusive disease • retina • visual acuity 
×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×