Purchase this article with an account.
T. Yamaguchi; Efficacy of the newly developed 3 surgical techniques: 2 conjuncival autograft transplantation techniques and folded conjunctival edge suturingtechnique for pterygium. . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2004;45(13):2941.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
Purpose: To determine the efficacy of newly developed 3 types of surgical technique: 2 conjunctival autograft transplantation techniques and folded conjunctival edge suturing technique for pterygium. Methods: Newly developed surgical techniques were 1) extending of conjunctival flap from superior conjunctiva 2) transposition of conjunctival flap from temporal conjunctiva (non–free flap) 3) suturing of folded conjunctival edge on sclera. From Jan. 1988 to Dec. 2001, 218 eyes including 27 recurred eyes (1–10 times) were operated. Combination of technique 1) + 3) was mainly performed and combination of technique 2) + 3) was performed on the cases with wide conjunctival defect more than 3:30 o'clock position at limbus after the excision of head of pterygium. Combination of procedure 1) + 3) was applied on 190 eyes (15 recurred) and combination of procedure 2) + 3) was applied on 28 eyes (12 recurred). 8–0 Dexon S (R) (polyglycolic acid) was used for suturing. 0.1%fluorometholone eye drops was used for primary cases for 3 months and 0.1% betamethasone eye drops was used for recurred cases from 3 to 6 months after surgery. Mean follow–up period was 19.2 months (3–136M). Results: Combination of technique 1) + 3) developed 1.0% (2/190) recurrence rate (primary case: 1.1% (2/175), recurred case: 0% (0/15)). Combination of technique 2) + 3) developed 3.6%(1/28) of recurrence rate (primary case: 0%(0/16), recurred case: 8.3%(1/12)). In total, 1.4% (3/218) of recurrence rate was obtained. Conclusions: Combination of newly developed 3 types of surgical techniques, such as 2 types of conjunctival flap autograft transplantation techniques and folded conjunctival edge suturing technique demonstrated extremely low recurrence rate (1.4%). No severe complications were observed.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only