Purchase this article with an account.
E. Pilotto, F. Friede, M. Sartore, T. Segato, S. Piermarocchi; Idiopatic Macular Hole: Correlation Between Optical Coherence Tomography Findings and Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope Microperimetry Data . Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2003;44(13):3280.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
Purpose: To evaluate the correlation between the optical coherence tomographic (OCT) characteristics of idiopathic macular hole and its functional pattern using scanning laser ophthalmoscope (SLO) microperimetry. Methods: Twenty-eight consecutive eyes of 23 patients with idiopatic macular hole at different stages of development were studied. Best-corrected visual acuity, biomicroscopic fundus examination, color stereo fundus photography and SLO microperimetry were performed. Optical coherence tomography was performed through a dilated pupil using OCT Stratus. The OCT findings were correlated to SLO microperimetry data. Results: In 17 eyes (60.7%) OCT revealed a full-thickness macular hole. In all these cases an absolute scotoma determined by SLO microperimetry was present. In the remaining 11 eyes (39.3%) a lamellar hole in six cases, or a foveal pseudocyst in five cases could be detected by OCT. In four of these eyes (36.4%) an absolute scotoma was revealed on SLO microperimetry, in three of these a foveal pseudocyst could be detected on OCT (Fig). Conclusions: In our study the SLO microperimetry findings demostrate that in several cases (36.4%) an absolute scotoma can be present even if a lamellar hole or a foveal pseudocyst is revealed by OCT. SLO microperimetry gives additional information about functional involvement of idiopatic macular hole and it may be then useful, associated with the OCT anatomic valuation, to plan a proper surgical timing, and to predict functional successful macula hole surgery. Figure: Optical coherence tomography shows a pseudocyst that has raised the foveal floor. Scanning laser ophthalmoscope microperimetry shows a central absolute scotoma (red triangles) with an annular area around with a decrease in retinal sensitivity. View OriginalDownload SlideView OriginalDownload Slide
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only