Purchase this article with an account.
Ricardo Yuji Abe, Alberto Diniz-Filho, Carolina Pelegrini Gracitelli, Felipe A Medeiros; Predicting Patient-Reported Disability in Glaucoma from Results of Standard Automated Perimetry. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016;57(12):No Pagination Specified. doi: https://doi.org/.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To determine factors associated with development of visual disability in glaucoma, as assessed by patient-reported quality of life outcomes.
The study included 236 glaucoma patients followed for an average of 4.3 ± 1.5 years. Patient-reported quality of life was assessed by the National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire (NEI VFQ-25) at baseline and at the end of follow-up. Patients were classified into two distinct classes according to presence of visual disability (yes/no) from responses to the NEI VFQ-25 at each time point (baseline and last follow-up). Latent transition analysis was used to investigate the probability of changing classes during follow-up and a survival model was used to evaluate factors associated with transitioning from non-disability to disability. Subjects also had an average of 9.0 ± 4.3 visual field tests with standard automated perimetry (24-2) during follow-up. Rates of visual field loss were estimated by linear regression.
At baseline, 67 of 236 (28%) of glaucoma patients were classified with visual disability, whereas 169 (72%) were classified as non-disabled, based on NEI VFQ-25 results. Glaucoma subjects classified as non-disabled had 86% chance of remaining in this classification and 14% chance of transitioning to disability during follow-up. Baseline disease severity and the magnitude of visual field loss during follow-up in the better eye were associated with risk of developing visual disability. Each 1dB greater loss of MD in the better eye was associated with 18% increased risk of developing visual disability (P=0.013). A multivariable model had survival-adjusted R2 of 51% for predicting visual disability.
Baseline disease severity and the magnitude of visual field loss over time are predictive of disability, as assessed by patient-reported quality of life outcomes in glaucoma.
This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2016 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Seattle, Wash., May 1-5, 2016.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only