July 2018
Volume 59, Issue 9
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   July 2018
Biochemical analysis of mutations in transmembrane domain one of ABCA4 responsible for Stargardt Macular Degeneration
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Fabian Garces
    Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
  • Robert S Molday
    Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Fabian Garces, None; Robert Molday, None
  • Footnotes
    Support  NIH Grant EY002422
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science July 2018, Vol.59, 367. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Fabian Garces, Robert S Molday; Biochemical analysis of mutations in transmembrane domain one of ABCA4 responsible for Stargardt Macular Degeneration. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018;59(9):367.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : Mutations in the ABCA4 gene cause Stargardt macular degeneration (STGD1). The purpose of this study is to examine how STGD1-causing mutations in the transmembrane domain one (TMD1) of ABCA4 affect the folding, trafficking and function of ABCA4 and lead to STGD1.

Methods : The topology and amino acid sequences of the TMDs of ABCA4 were predicted in silico by hidden Markov algorithms and refined using the ABCA1 structure to model ABCA4. Missense mutations within the TMD1 region were produced by site-directed-mutagenesis. WT and mutants of ABCA4 were immunopurified using a 1D4-column against a 1D4-tag placed at the C-terminus of ABCA4. ABCA4 expression levels in transected HEK293T cells was determined by western blotting. Cellular localization of ABCA4 in transfected COS7 cells was measured by confocal microscopy. ATPase activity was determined by a luminescence assay and retinal binding activity was determined using radio-labeled retinal.

Results : Of the 17 missense mutations analyzed, 70% had significantly lower expression levels than wildtype ABCA4 (WT), whereas the remaining 30% expressed near WT levels. Mutants with low expression levels were localized to the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) in transfected cells suggesting that some misfolding may be occurring. Mutants expressing near WT levels displayed a vesicular expression pattern similar to WT ABCA4. At the functional level, mutants with low expression levels had drastically reduced levels of retinal-binding and ATPase activity, 25% or below WT levels. Mutants expressing near WT levels had retinal-binding activity between 60-70% of WT levels, with the exception of R653C, which bound retinal at 13% of WT levels. The basal ATPase activity was similar to WT for all mutants with normal expression levels. The retinal stimulated ATPase activity increased between 1.9-2.5 fold for these mutants with the exception of R653C, whose ATPase activity was not stimulated by retinal.

Conclusions : Our results suggest that protein misfolding is correlated with low protein expression levels and a severely decreased functional activity of ABCA4. The residue R653 is important for substrate binding and likely forms part of the substrate binding site. These findings provide direct biochemical evidence of the effects that STGD1-causing mutations in TMD1 have on ABCA4.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2018 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Honolulu, Hawaii, April 29 - May 3, 2018.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×