July 2018
Volume 59, Issue 9
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   July 2018
Neuropathic Corneal Pain in Post-Cataract Surgery Patients
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Ramy Rashad
    Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Gabriela Dieckmann
    Cornea Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Dilruba Koseoglu
    Cornea Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Anam Akhlaq
    Cornea Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Ricardo Nose
    Cornea Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Pedram Hamrah
    Cornea Service, New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Ophthalmology, Center for Translational Ocular Immunology, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Ramy Rashad, None; Gabriela Dieckmann, None; Dilruba Koseoglu, None; Anam Akhlaq, None; Ricardo Nose, None; Pedram Hamrah, Allegran (C), Allegran (S), Dompe (C), Dompe (S), Shire (C), Tissue Tech (C)
  • Footnotes
    Support  Tufts Medical Center Institutional Support
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science July 2018, Vol.59, 1802. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Ramy Rashad, Gabriela Dieckmann, Dilruba Koseoglu, Anam Akhlaq, Ricardo Nose, Pedram Hamrah; Neuropathic Corneal Pain in Post-Cataract Surgery Patients. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018;59(9):1802.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : Neuropathic Corneal Pain (NCP) is a chronic pain caused by a lesion or dysfunction of the somatosensory nervous system. Long term injury to the peripheral corneal sensory nerves leads to the development of ectopic activity and abnormal excitability of peripheral nerve terminals, causing neuropathic pain. Cataract surgery is the most common procedure performed by ophthalmic surgeons worldwide. Modern phacoemulsification cataract surgery typically involves clear-corneal incisions. The placement of incisions in clear-corneal procedures can damage corneal nerves. The aim of this study is to describe a case series of patients that developed neuropathic corneal pain.

Methods : Retrospective, cross sectional study from 175 patients with neuropathic corneal pain conducted at New England Eye Center/ Tufts Medical Center over the past year. All patients that had undergone cataract surgery were included in the study. The visual analogue scale (VAS) (0-10) was used to rate the pain levels.

Results : Of the 175 NCP patients enrolled, 128 (73%) had undergone ocular surgery; 25 (20%) had undergone cataract surgery. Of those who had cataract surgery, 17 (68%) were female and the average age was 74.04 ± 9.72 years. Of the 25 patients that had cataract surgery, 19 (76%) had cataract surgery alone, while 4 (16%) had cataract surgery combined with refractive surgery; 17 patients (68%) reported an average pain level of 4.8±2.2; the remaining 8 (32%) of patients complained of symptoms of photoallodynia and discomfort.

Conclusions : Cataract surgery could be a risk factor for neuropathic corneal pain. Future prospective and longitudinal studies are warranted and should be encouraged in order to further establish the relationship between NCP and cataract surgery.

This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2018 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Honolulu, Hawaii, April 29 - May 3, 2018.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×