Purchase this article with an account.
Megan Rowlands, Ijah Mondesire-Crump, Ariana Levin, Audrey Mauguen, Jasmine H Francis, Ira Dunkel, Scott E Brodie, Yves Pierre Gobin, David H Abramson; Total retinal detachments due to retinoblastoma: Outcomes following intra-arterial chemotherapy/ophthalmic artery chemosurgery. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018;59(9):1644. doi: https://doi.org/.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
To report on the rate and timing of retinal reattachment and outcomes for retinoblastoma children who have total retinal detachments at presentation to our center and were treated with intra-arterial chemotherapy (ophthalmic artery chemosurgery, OAC).
Single-center retrospective review of retinoblastoma patients who presented with total retinal detachments and were subsequently treated with OAC at MSKCC between May 2006 and July 2016. Endpoints were retinal detachment resolution, visual function, ERG amplitude, ocular survival, and patient survival from metastases.
95 eyes of 92 retinoblastoma patients were included. Using a survival multistate model, by 36 months of follow-up, there was a 56% cumulative probability of complete retinal reattachment and a 78% probability of partial reattachment. 22% of eyes that completely reattached received only OAC without any prior or adjuvant treatments. Eyes that completely reattached were significantly more likely to have been diagnosed at a younger age (p<0.0001) and to have greater initial ERG values (p=0.01). At final follow-up, 15% of eyes had gained at least 25 mV of ERG activity, and 7.5% had achieved hand motion vision or better, including one to 20/60. 15% of eyes were enucleated. No patient died from metastatic disease.
OAC can successfully treat previously considered “non-salvageable” retinoblastoma eyes with total retinal detachments, promote retinal reattachment in the majority of eyes, and preserve ocular and patient survival.
This is an abstract that was submitted for the 2018 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Honolulu, Hawaii, April 29 - May 3, 2018.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only