July 2019
Volume 60, Issue 9
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   July 2019
The SON Study: preliminary results from the Italian series
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Veronica Forlani
    Eye Clinic, Department of Ophtalmology, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
  • Chiara Preziosa
    Eye Clinic, Department of Ophtalmology, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
  • Adrian Tien-Chin Fung
    Ophalmology, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
    Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Macquarie UniversityHospital, New South Wales, Australia
  • Giovanni Staurenghi
    Eye Clinic, Department of Ophtalmology, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
  • Alessandro Invernizzi
    Eye Clinic, Department of Ophtalmology, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
  • Marco Pellegrini
    Eye Clinic, Department of Ophtalmology, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Veronica Forlani, None; Chiara Preziosa, None; Adrian Fung, None; Giovanni Staurenghi, appellis allergan bayer Boheringer (C), centervue carl zeiss meditec (C), genentech (C), Heidelberg Engineering (C), novartist (C), optos ocular instruments (C), optovue quintal medical (C), roche (C), topcon (C); Alessandro Invernizzi, allergan R (C); Marco Pellegrini, Bayer (C), Heidelberg Engineering (C), Optovue (C)
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science July 2019, Vol.60, 728. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Veronica Forlani, Chiara Preziosa, Adrian Tien-Chin Fung, Giovanni Staurenghi, Alessandro Invernizzi, Marco Pellegrini; The SON Study: preliminary results from the Italian series. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2019;60(9):728.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : To evaluate choroidal nevi characteristics using multimodal imaging and to assess the prevalence of subretinal fluid by enhanced-depth imaging optical coherence tomography (EDI-OCT).

Methods : Prospective observational study of consecutive patients diagnosed with choroidal nevi at the Eye Clinic, Luigi Sacco Hospital (Milan, Italy) from May 2018 to November 2018.
All patients underwent a complete ophthalmic examination including best corrected visual acuity (BVCA), color fundus photography (Canon CX-1; Canon, Tokio, Japan), 488 nm blue fundus autofluorescence (FAF) and EDI-OCT using the HRA+OCT Spectralis module (Heidelberg Engineering, Germany) and B-scan ultrasonography (Aviso S, Quantel Medical, France).
Clinical data including BCVA, position and maximum diameter of the lesion, clinical evidence of orange pigment and subretinal fluid (SRF) were recorded. Main EDI-OCT features included tumor thickness, prevalence and quantification of SRF. FAF pattern, and US features including echodensity, thickness and visibility of SRF were also analysed. Lesions suspected to be a melanoma or showing a secondary choroidal neovascularization were excluded.

Results : 73 eyes were included in the study. All patients were Caucasian with a mean age of 67.99±12.82 years.
The 96% of the nevi were pigmented whereas 4% were amelanotic. At fundoscopy, 46.6% of nevi were located within 3 mm from the optic disc and mean maximal diameter was 3.02±1.39mm; orange pigment was documented in 1 eye (1.37%) and no cases showed obvious SRF. At FAF, the 41% of nevi resulted iso-AF, 32% showed mixed AF, 25% was hypo-AF and 3% was hyper-AF. At OCT, average thickness was 417 µm (range 138-1633). SRF was found in 4 cases (5.5%) with a maximal depth of 150.80 ± 105.98 µm, maximal horizontal diameter of 1898.75±1624.31 µm and a vertical diameter equal to 1563.75 ± 2170.87 µm. The 60% of the nevi appeared flat on US; in the remaining cases (40%) mean thickness was 1.41±0.61mm. SRF was not appreciable in any case.

Conclusions : Choroidal nevi require regular follow up documentation. Our results confirmed the role of EDI-OCT in the visualization of nevi thinner than 1 mm and showed the overall greatest sensibility of OCT in detecting SRF compared to US and clinical examination.

This abstract was presented at the 2019 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Vancouver, Canada, April 28 - May 2, 2019.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×