Purchase this article with an account.
Felipe Prado Vásquez, Deisy Nallely Delgado Arellano, Miguel Pedroza Seres, Rosalva Yasha Bobadilla, Hae Jin Kim; Clinical and epidemiological description of multiple evanescent white dot syndrome in Mexican population.. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2019;60(9):6668.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
The multiple evanescent white dot syndrome (MEWDS) is an inflammatory disorder of the retina condition that typically affects young, otherwise healthy, women with myopic refractions. A characteristic feature of MEWDS is the presence of multiple discrete white spots at the level of the deep retina, and the fovea often has a granular appearance that may persist. The objective of this work is to report clinical features of MEWDS.
The present investigation is a retrospective analysis of records between 2001 and 2017 patients of uveitis department of our institution with diagnosis of MEWDS. The electronic files of these patients were statistically analyzed. Data were collected: age, sex, chief complaint, visual acuity and clinical features. We excluded patients without at least 6 follow up visits to uveitis department and patients without typical clinical features.
There were 16 subjects with MEWDS, 2 (12.5%) were men the rest 14 females (87.5%). The youngest patient was 15 years old, the oldest patient was 50 years old and the median age was 32.25 years. The main symptoms were blurred vision, floaters, photopsias and pain. 3 (18.75%) patients referred upper respiratory tract infection before the onset of MEWDS. Of the 7 patients that had refractions, 6 (37.5%) were myopic and only one patient was hyperopic (6.2%).
In conclusion, MEWDS are a rare entity. Most of these cases go undiagnosed since they resolve spontaneously, and its diagnosis can be challenging. The precise etiology of each of these white dot diseases of the retina remains unknown. Some of the white dot syndromes are precipitated by viral infections and immunizations. That typically affect young, healthy adults with good visual prognosis.
This abstract was presented at the 2019 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Vancouver, Canada, April 28 - May 2, 2019.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only