June 2021
Volume 62, Issue 8
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   June 2021
The impact on short term axial length and vision performance of myopia control optics with coaxial and non-coaxial plus power lenslets
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Fan Yi
    School of Optometry and Vision Science, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • Noel A Brennan
    Johnson and Johnson Vision, Florida, United States
  • Brett Davis
    School of Optometry and Vision Science, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • Xu Cheng
    Johnson and Johnson Vision, Florida, United States
  • Michael J Collins
    School of Optometry and Vision Science, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Fan Yi, Johnson and Johnson Vision (F), Johnson and Johnson Vision (P), Johnson and Johnson Vision (R); Noel Brennan, Johnson and Johnson Vision (I), Johnson and Johnson Vision (E), Johnson and Johnson Vision (P); Brett Davis, Johnson and Johnson Vision (F), Johnson and Johnson Vision (P), Johnson and Johnson Vision (R); Xu Cheng, Johnson and Johnson Vision (I), Johnson and Johnson Vision (E), Johnson and Johnson Vision (P); Michael Collins, Johnson and Johnson Vision (F), Johnson and Johnson Vision (C), Johnson and Johnson Vision (P), Johnson and Johnson Vision (R)
  • Footnotes
    Support  None
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science June 2021, Vol.62, 2906. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Fan Yi, Noel A Brennan, Brett Davis, Xu Cheng, Michael J Collins; The impact on short term axial length and vision performance of myopia control optics with coaxial and non-coaxial plus power lenslets. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2021;62(8):2906.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : This study investigated the changes in short-term axial length (AxL) and vision performance during exposure to simulated optical designs with coaxial and non-coaxial plus power lenslets, induced by adaptive optics (AO).

Methods : An optical design with multiple lenslets of plus power (0.79 mm in diameter at pupil plane) distributed evenly over its optical zone (40% fill factor) was created through a spatial light modulator AO system. Between the plus power lenslets, the remaining optical area (60%) was optimally focussed for distance vision. Two types of plus power zones were tested; (i) coaxial, where lenslets created a single focal point (+10 D) in front of the retina on the optical axis, and (ii) non-coaxial, where lenslets created multiple focal points (+10 D) in front of the retina, with the central ray of each lenslet directed to the fovea. Six healthy young with normal vision subjects participated in the study. Subjects watched a movie through the AO system and AxL was measured with a Lenstar LS-900 biometer before, at 20 mins and after 40 mins exposure to the test designs. VA was tested with high-contrast tumbling E letters displayed on a micro-display in the AO system and contrast sensitivity (CS) was tested with an E letter target (0.5 logMAR) that was controlled by a QUEST algorithm.

Results : At the end of 40 mins, coaxial and non-coaxial designs caused a significant and similar reduction in axial length compared to baseline (-5.7 ± 3.6 vs -8.3 ± 6.2 µm respectively, both p < 0.05) (Figure 1). The optical design with coaxial plus power lenslets caused a larger loss of VA of 0.15 ± 0.04 logMAR compared to the design with non-coaxial plus power lenslets with 0.07 ± 0.05 logMAR loss (t =3.2, p <0.05) (Figure 2). A greater loss of CS was also found with the coaxial plus power zones causing a loss of 0.08 ± 0.02 of Weber contrast compared to the non-coaxial design, with a CS loss of 0.03 ± 0.02. (t =4.8, p <0.005).

Conclusions : Optical designs utilizing non-coaxial plus power lenslets were found to produce similar shortening effects on short-term axial length, while causing a smaller loss in visual performance than designs using conventional coaxial plus power lenslets.

This is a 2021 ARVO Annual Meeting abstract.

 

Fig 1. Change of Axl over time with a coaxial (blue) and a non-coaxial lenslet design (orange).

Fig 1. Change of Axl over time with a coaxial (blue) and a non-coaxial lenslet design (orange).

 

Fig 2. Loss of VA and CS with a coaxial and a non-coaxial lenslet design.

Fig 2. Loss of VA and CS with a coaxial and a non-coaxial lenslet design.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×