June 2022
Volume 63, Issue 7
Open Access
ARVO Annual Meeting Abstract  |   June 2022
Post-operative inflammation outcomes with the use of a sustained-release intracanalicular dexamethasone implant (Dextenza) following routine phacoemulsification
Author Affiliations & Notes
  • Amy Huang
    Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Monica K Ertel
    Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, United States
    Department of Ophthalmology, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Cristos Ifantides
    Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, United States
    Department of Ophthalmology, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Jennifer L. Patnaik
    Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Leonard Seibold
    Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Footnotes
    Commercial Relationships   Amy Huang None; Monica Ertel None; Cristos Ifantides None; Jennifer Patnaik None; Leonard Seibold None
  • Footnotes
    Support  Unrestricted Research Grant from Research to Prevent Blindness
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science June 2022, Vol.63, 3507. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Amy Huang, Monica K Ertel, Cristos Ifantides, Jennifer L. Patnaik, Leonard Seibold; Post-operative inflammation outcomes with the use of a sustained-release intracanalicular dexamethasone implant (Dextenza) following routine phacoemulsification. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2022;63(7):3507.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

Purpose : This study sought to characterize the need for adjunctive drop therapy with topical steroids or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops (NSAID) in patients who received the Dextenza implant after routine phacoemulsification cataract surgery.

Methods : A retrospective chart review was performed. Patients who received a Dextenza implant after cataract surgery between January 2020 to July 2020 with at least 3 months of follow-up were included. Initiation of steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drop therapy, reason for therapy, and time of therapy initiation were collected.

Results : A total of 203 eyes were included for analysis with a mean patient age of 71.7 years. 59.1% were female and 87.7% self-identified as Caucasian. Anti-inflammatory drops (steroid, NSAID, or both) were started in 31.2% of eyes (62 eyes, excluding 3 eyes with unknown drop status and 1 eye started on drops after the 3-month follow-up period). Of all included eyes (excluding 9 eyes with unknown drop status), only 21.6% (42 eyes) were started because of persistent corneal edema, inflammation, post-operative pain, or cystoid macular edema. Of the 42 eyes started on drops due to clinical signs or symptoms, the majority of these (64.3%, 27 eyes) were started on topical steroids only. The remaining 35.7% (15 eyes) were started on both topical steroids and NSAIDs. In 72.6% of eyes requiring adjunctive therapy, treatment was started within the first week after surgery. The mean duration of adjunctive drop therapy was 36.6 days.

Conclusions : The majority of eyes that received Dextenza implantation after routine cataract surgery did not require topical anti-inflammatory therapy to control post-operative inflammation. Of those that did, most required the addition of a single drop, usually within the first week after surgery. This demonstrates that the sustained-release intracanalicular dexamethasone implant Dextenza is a viable platform for simplifying post-operative treatment regimens by reducing or eliminating the need for topical therapy after cataract surgery.

This abstract was presented at the 2022 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Denver, CO, May 1-4, 2022, and virtually.

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×